Benefits of OrthodonticsMost people come to our office because their family dentist recommended it, or because they don’t like the way their teeth look—but orthodontics not only helps improve the look of your teeth, it can also improve your overall health and well-being!
The benefits of orthodontic treatment vary depending on an individual’s needs and expectations, but some of the improvements you might see include:
- After the proper relationship between the teeth has been created, the chance of food impaction and plaque retention is decreased. Brushing and flossing become both easier and more effective, reducing the incidence of such problems as tooth decay and gum (periodontal) disease.
- By preventing worn teeth, loosening teeth, and broken teeth, as well as jaw discomfort (TMJ) and pain later in life, orthodontic treatment can prove to be a valuable investment both financially and for your health. With orthodontics, you can avoid future complications and potentially expensive dental procedures!
- Some patients experience speech problems associated with malposed teeth and jaws. This can also be related to habits like thumb and finger sucking, or to obstructions in the respiratory tract that can cause a mouth-breathing habit. By re-positioning the teeth and jaw, some patients see their speech improve greatly.
- Some of our patients, both children and adults, can develop digestive problems because, due to a poor bite, they do not chew food properly. This can affect the general health of the entire body over time.
- The benefits of orthodontic treatment are not only physical, but also social and psychological. Protrusive and malposed teeth can be detrimental to a person’s self-confidence and self-esteem. As we all know, confidence and self-esteem can not only help us improve our personal lives, but also our professional lives. You might be surprised by the changes that happen with a new, winning smile!